Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Stuck in the Snow!


This great graphic is from a victorian alphabet book. The letter for this picture is U for Umbrella "to keep off the snow." We have a bit of snow here in Michigan and a bit more to come today so a snow-blower might be more in order than an umbrella! Still, we are used to the snow.

I learned to drive at an early age when my dad took me out on the back roads in summer and let me handle his old work car! But my driving in snow began when I was sixteen and taking the driver training class required for getting a license. There were three of us girls in the car with our teacher Mr. Beeler. Slipping and sliding along the country roads while everyone else was in math or English class was just too much fun! We felt like we were on an adventure...and truly we were!

One such day, when it was my turn to drive, I decided to take the road that passed in front of my home. Once in the neighborhood, I spotted my brother, home from college, shoveling a path to the back alley.

"Let's go and see my brother," I said excitedly.

"Uh...Coralie...I don't think that's a good idea," Mr. Beeler gasped. "We're going to get stuck in the snow and you'll all be late for your classes!"

"We'll be fine! We've got snow tires on...remember?" And I was off, driving down that alley against Mr. Beeler's better judgement and right into a heavy drift of snow! No amount of spinning the wheels would get us moving again.

Were we girls alarmed? Not at all! It was a true adventure and all we could do was giggle and laugh and laugh some more. But poor Mr. Beeler was beside himself. Still, being the quiet kind man he was, he just couldn't get too upset with us. After all, we were usually pretty well behaved!

"Don't worry, Mr. Beeler," I told him. "I'll get my brother to shovel us out!" Which is exactly what I did and and, though I'm pretty sure all of us girls were wishing we'd be late for class, it didn't turn out that way. We were back on our way to school in time for our next classes.

But that day in the snow, stuck on fun, and having the best of times just enjoying life was a memory to long be held in our hearts. There are many a snow day when I recall the kindness and patience of our dear old teacher, now long gone. And how he allowed us such freedom to be who, in fact, we were. Such kindness never goes unnoticed or unlearned!



To see more RUBY TUESDAY participants, hosted by WORK OF THE POET, click HERE!
Have a great day everyone and enjoy all the beautiful shades of red today!

26 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had an AWESOME drivers ed teacher...I did too! I have never had to drive in the snow down here on the coast...maybe one day! HAPPY HAPPY NEW YEAR to you and your family!

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a beautiful graphic design.

    My Ruby Tuesday calls for a new goal this year, to SAVE! Wishing you a bountiful new year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Good Morning Sweetie...
    What a wonderful story to lighten my heart this morning. I am laughing and smiling as I write this. I can just see you rounding the corner and sliding right into that snow drift. Then happily calling off to your brother to come and help you out. They whole time wishing he would slow down the shoveling.

    Weren't those wonderful times? I loved Driver's Ed, and now if you want to take it in school you have to pay for it. It was free for us. I remember the end of Driver's Ed, if you were old enough you could take your driving test in the Driver's Ed car, I was and I did, and as we started down the road from the school, there in the middle of the road stood my brother and his friends waving away at me. I will remember that for the rest of my life. Yes I did pass with a 99, the 1 point deducted for me honking at my brother and his friends to get out of the road.

    Love it. Thank you for the memory this story brought back to me this morning.

    Have a beautiful day sweetie. Country hugs and much love...Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, for the memories that flood back ... you are a stitch, chuckle! Been there, done that ...

    May your New Year be blessed & joyful ... Hugs of love, TTFN ~ Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  5. A precious illustration.

    And a precious memory, also.

    Does your brother remember that day too?

    ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful Drivers Ed teacher!! Our teacher would have given us demerits for getting stuck.... He was an Ole' Sourpuss, Mr. Wood.
    AnyWho..... Wonderful memories for you & your girlfriends!!
    Happy New Year!!
    Love,
    Marilyn
    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Coralie,
    What a sweet and fun memory you have shared with us. It put a smile on my face. I can picture the whole thing... as you write so well. Blessings and hugs!
    Gwen

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a nice story. My first day driving was a cold Saturday morning on some very winding roads that thankfully weren't too busy. My instructor was also my biology teacher. He later told those of us in his driving class that he liked having students face Michigan winter roads because we'd be prepared for anything. I drive just fine in bad weather, but I try to avoid it now. It is the other drivers that worry me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful!
    A blessed New Year!

    Cheers and regards.
    Regina

    ReplyDelete
  10. How funny! Mr. Beeler sounds like a bit of a pushover. I remember my friend and I were taking drivers ed and one of us (I can't remember which) spun out some gravel when pulling out from a stop. We burst out laughing, and Mr. Moore admonished us. "Now GIRLS! It's not funny!!". LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for a wonderful story...and a pretty vintage design. I really enjoy illustrated alphabets.
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a fun story, Coralie! I loved driver's ed, even though we never had an adventure like yours! But I do remember one of the kids in my car being such a bad driver that the teacher had to keep his foot on the brake that was on his side of the car at all times!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I so love your picture...now I could tell my hubby that using an umbrella while snowing is okay ^_^. My first snow experienced was last 2004 I was jumping up and down with glee I immediately took out my umbrella and used it... hubby laugh at me he said they don't used an umbrella. Now I will show this picture that it is okay to used one ^_^. Thanks for sharing! Happy New Year!

    Homemade Salsa and Tomato sauce

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful vintage card! & a wonderful memory added.Thanks for sharing .
    Happy new Year !
    ~Myrna

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a wonderful memory, Coralie! Thanks for sharing this...made me remember learning to drive in the snow when I was 16, as well...growing up in northern Ohio--I remember getting stuck in a few snow drifts! All that training is totally lost now in my California life!

    Hope you're having a beautiful day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great story Coralie!

    Hope that you had a wonderful Christmas and wishing you the happiest of New Years!

    Leann

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a beautiful graphic and lovely story.
    Great day to you too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Valentine's Day is right around the corner! Yup, it is.

    Please join me in my very first "Amour Valentine Swap". It's going to be easy, peezy and so much fun.

    Just drop on over to my blog for the details, then send me an email if you'd like to participate. The more the merrier.

    Thanks,

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely memoir Coralie! and such lucky gals for having such a nice, and patient driver's ed teacher, how wonderful! Wishing you a great day and a wonderful new year =D

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such a beautiful story, Coralie. It is a hoot to have driving lessons with your friends in the car. I did that too in high school. Every moment we found something funny to laugh about, because our nerves were on edge. It was a very exciting time. Thanks for sharing those memories.
    Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  21. I loved your story Coralie..thank you for sharing with us and putting a smile on me. I can just picture you hitting into that snow..:). Have a safe,happy and blessed New Year..may it be filled with all things wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Coralie, I love your stories! This is a cute graphic. I am getting around late today. I hope you've had a nice day. Twyla

    ReplyDelete
  23. I looove that pic. Have a blessed and Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a wonderful story, Coralie! Loved reading this.

    XO,

    Sheila :-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is the most wonderful picture - and the story, too!

    ReplyDelete