Sunday, January 25, 2009

Smocking—Is It A Lost Art?


I found this 1946 Simplicity smocking pattern in with the vintage dress patterns from my antique mall find a few weeks ago and thought I'd share it with you.

Does anyone do smocking anymore? I know my mother spent hours and hours making beautiful little girls' dresses with smocking. However, I've never been able to master this art! I tried it a couple of times a long time ago and couldn't get the "hang" of it so finally gave it up. Maybe if I'd had this pattern back then I could have figured it out...well, maybe not.

I think smocking is amazing and beautiful...but is it a lost art?

1 comment:

  1. Comments:
    Nellie's Needles said...
    There are many young mothers and grandmothers still smocking. Lots of them belong to Smocking Arts Guild of America (SAGA) a national organization that I helped found in 1979. I've written books, designed patterns and kits, and taught the technique all over the country and in Canada. That all seems a lifetime ago. But yes, there are still ladies smocking out there ... just not me anymore.
    February 3, 2009 1:10 PM

    Marjorie said...
    Check out Creative Needle and Sew Beautiful magazines for lovely smocking designs. There are a couple of Australian magazines on the newsstands, too. SAGA mentioned above. The Embroiderer's Guild of America. Many of my friends know how to smock but we don't make much use of it (unless there are granddaughters!), except, perhaps, for ornaments and accessories.
    February 6, 2009 9:03 AM

    ReplyDelete