Monday, January 26, 2009

Who Remembers the Pinafore?

I couldn't believe my eyes when I found this 1940's Simplicity size 3 pinafore pattern for little girls—just like the one I wore as child. It was my favorite clothing and I often wore it to visit my favorite aunt who lived just down the block from us.
Auntie Sep, would meet me at the door and out we'd go to walk in her fabulous flower garden filled with beautiful blooms of all the brilliant colors of the rainbow. Here I was introduced to blue bachelor buttons, yellow daffodils, and best of all her prized pink & white bleeding hearts.

"They look like broken hearts," I told my aunt.

Auntie Sep explained that the broken hearts which grew in profusion were one of God's miracles. They were, she said, a sign of His understand of those times when our hearts ached but that there would always be His promise of hope. As we walked hand-in-hand enjoying God's miracles, I grew to understand that life is made up not only of happy days but also days of disappointment. Yet there would always be the joy of God's love for us to share.

(The entire story of BLEEDING HEARTS can be found in the book of memoirs, THE WISHING YEARS by Coralie Cederna Johnson, available at Wildwood Press.)

1 comment:

  1. Comments:
    Corinne:
    Visiting you today! a stroll down memory lane.
    Love everything you visit. Much sweetness in remembering. You make my day! Love, Sis
    February 19, 2009 9:59 AM

    Ragamuffin Gal said...
    Coralie ~
    I love this touching post! Although I never had a dress like this, I certainly would have liked one. I did make "smock Apron like tops" in high school. One of them was the first "big" thing I ever sewed.

    Darling memories about your visits with your aunts. I am trying to be that sort of aunt with my nieces. Blessings, Katie
    March 14, 2009 9:30 AM

    ReplyDelete