Friday, May 1, 2009

Vintage Primer Circus Time Illustration!

It's time for another classic illustration from my favorite primer, The Elson Reader! I just love all of the many illustrations in this book and wish I'd had it when I was a child. Being an animal lover, this would have been just perfect as there are dozens of beautiful children and animal pictures.

However, this book was a 1930 revision of the 1920 & 1927 version which was copyrighted in 1912 & 1913. My first reading books in school were the Dick and Jane series. I loved Spot the dog and Puff the cat but their interactions in the stories were limited.

Which first readers did you have when growing up?

1 comment:

  1. Comments:

    Jennifer said...
    I remember Tom, Betty, and Susan. I believe they had a dog named Jip and a cat named Puff. There was also Alice and Jerry when I got a little older.
    Jennifer
    http://goodwillgoddess.blogspot.com
    May 1, 2009 10:17 PM

    Laurie said...
    There was a series that was sold at the supermarket, about women in different roles, such as a stewardess, and I loved them! They weren't "readers" per se, but they were what I learned to read with at the age of 3 or so!
    May 4, 2009 5:04 PM

    ReplyDelete