Saturday, October 16, 2010

Children's PARTY Book for Pink Saturday!


In 1935 Mrs. Cornelia Staley created this beautiful party book for children everywhere! Birthdays, Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, and St. Patrick's Day parties are features with colorful pictures of games to play, menus for the events, and recipes for goodies that children love to eat. The following is an example of the beautiful illustrations in this vintage book. All exquisitely colored in the shades of the era!

In doing a bit of research, I discovered some interesting history regarding the Staley Starch Company. The company was founded by Cornelia's husband, Augustus Eugene Staley (A.E. Staley), in Baltimore in 1898. In 1909 he bought a factory in Decatur, Illinois in order to start the production of food starch. The factory started production in 1912.

The company produced many famous household brands including Staley Pancake and Waffle Syrup, Sta-Puf fabric softener, and Sta-Flo liquid starch. The two latter brands were subsequently sold to Dial. A. E. Staley Manufacturing currently is one of the largest processors of corn and soybeans in the United States.

Staley founded a football league in 1920. The members of his team, the Decatur Staleys, worked as semi-professionals in his factory. Later the team was renamed Chicago Bears. The team's mascot to this day is 'Staley Da Bear.' And that is the rest of the story!

11 comments:

  1. This is so fascinating! and the illustrations are beautiful. What a wonderful book to treasure.

    Enjoy your Saturday. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those vintage books!! Very nostalgic! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the vintage illustrations, thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  4. These have fantastic illustrations. Thanks for sharing, I remember using Staley syrup.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Coralie....

    What a beautiful old book. They're so special, aren't they? I've been looking for an old Dick and Jane book for a long time.....from my era. Oh my, that does make me OLD, doesn't it? The illustrations were so sweet.

    Have a wonderful day!

    Huggies,
    Spencer

    PS....could your button be any cuter? I've added it to my list... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! What a great post, Coralie! Love all the info you provided today. I LOVE trivia like that! The Hubster says I have a head FULL of useless information already, so I'll just add this to it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this post, had fun catching up on my visiting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the illustrations and the background is fascinating. Thanks for sharing Coralie.

    ReplyDelete
  9. nice vintage book. love it
    Thank you for sharing this dear Coralie

    ReplyDelete
  10. thanks for the info. and the pics were so colorful and engaging. thanks rose

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm a day late but really enjoyed all your pink loveliness. Happy Pink Saturday.

    ReplyDelete