Tuesday, September 15, 2009

First Week of Classes!

It's back to school, week one, for me. My posts have been a little "light" and will continue to be for a bit as I work back into the fall schedule after being off from teaching spring and summer. This is a great time of year for me as I welcome both traditional and mature students back into the virtual classroom and conduct discussions online.

For many years, I taught on campus at a local university but for the past three years, after attending classes myself to learn many of the "in's" and "out's" of online education, I teach mainly online.

In our cross-cultural class we examine many of the issues of concern to all of us in our current society. Class participation reveals that many of the students are returning after raising their families or after just a few years break from their degree-focused journey. Often students who work online have disabilities that make it difficult for them to participate in on-campus classes so their views, too, are refreshing and most helpful to others. The life experiences which students bring to class are invaluable for them, their classmates, and me.

(Can you tell...I love this time of year, my students, and the classes we share!)

12 comments:

  1. It's so important to love what you do. Good for you, Coralie!

    Kelly

    http://tearinguphouses.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can tell that you are a wonderful teacher, because you talk about it so passionately! This country needs more teachers like you!
    Thanks for the sweet comment about my cards. You are my mentor!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Coralie,
    How sweet is that little girl at the chalkboard! Just love it! Enjoy your time back at teaching. I know you must do a wonderful job as I can tell how much you love your students. Have a beautiful week. Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello! your blog is absolutely delightful!! Love the format, what lovely colors. And your posts are wonderful, easy to read, interesting, pretty pictures, everything very vintage and pastel colored!! I am soooo glad that you found me and in turn I was able to find you. Thank you for your comment on my recent post. I will be back again for sure! Debby

    ReplyDelete
  5. p.s. my oldest sister is a teacher and is again "back to school" this past week. After the summer she is refreshed and ready for a new year, loving teacher special reading and math classes to those that have trouble in first through 4th grade.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Coralie,

    How privileged you and your students are to have each other. I know this school year will hold great adventure for all of you. My virtual best to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am "Back to school" too Coralie! However, I am the student. Wish you were my teacher!! :-)
    I'm taking 2 online classes and one on campus - I love them all!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh how I love your picture of the little one at the chalk board! I too am a teacher, fourth grade French immersion. My sweeties still think they are on vacation and are needing a lot of redirection! Thank you, Coralie for visiting my blog! I am bit of a whimsical soul....I love to write and create with glitter and muse on all things French, so if you need an escape, come again!!! Anita

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope you have a wonderful school year!
    Blessings,
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  10. It sounds wonderful, Coralie. I am really feeling the absence of taking classes online after so many years of learning as I finished my degree!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm sure you are a wonderful teacher! It's clear that you love what you do.

    Blessings,
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  12. Coralie,

    How wonderful to find that you, too, are a teacher!! Your students are so lucky!!! Your classes sound fascinating!

    Have a wonderful school year!

    Many hugs, friend!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete