Sunday, September 6, 2009

Labor Day Picnics in Days Gone By!

That's Mom in her newest apron serving a picnic lunch to all the children and grandchildren at our family cottage on Hagerman lake in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. You can see my dad in the background and me (the blonde, believe it or not) helping serve the kiddies their food. All of these little kiddies are now grown and have families of their own but I know each and every one of them remembers Labor Day picnics at The Lake! I know I do!
The elderly aunts were visiting from Finland on this day. Finland's terrain is much the same as Upper Michigan's—probably one reason so many of the Finnish migrated to the area, along with the call of the iron mines promising work for the men!
After the picnic lunch (remember, we were told to wait an hour to go swimming so our food could digest properly) the kids got out the raft and pretended to be Huck Finn and Tom Sawyer!

Labor Day picnics...memories to live long in our hearts!

11 comments:

  1. You are really bringing back wonderful memories of my times at Gull Lake MN. They looked just like your times. I really miss all the that when the world seemed slower and fun times were spent outdoors playing. Today kids seem to be glued to the TV and electronic games. Ack don't get me going. Have a wonderful holiday. Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful memories. And your memories helped to trigger mine of our family picnics. Thanks for sharing and taking back to fun times in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those times are precious jewels in our hearts, to remember made us, more wises, more humanes, better persons. (Sorry, because my writing english is not always correct).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Mom seemed like the hostess with the mostest. I bet she was a great cook, both outdoors and in!

    Happy Labor Day!☼

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, Coralie,
    Your post brought back many memories for me, too. We always got together for huge family picnics when I was growing up. They included aunts, uncles, cousins, sisters, brothers. It was almost like a family reunion. We always had homemade ice cream. Thanks for sharing memories of your family and bringing back memories for me. Have a happy week. Vicki p.s. I loved your mom in her apron.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks like so much fun! I need to get my mom's photo albums so I can scan in some of the old photos.

    Blessings,
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  7. Coralie, How wonderful to have these pictures of your dear family. The memories and good times will live on through you. I hope your labor day is a lovely one! Twyla

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love old memories and photos like these. Happy Long Weekend to you. Thanks so much for dropping by Beach Vintage and leaving a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What beautiful pictures and memories. Hope you had a great Holiday. Stop by when you can. Hugs, Connie

    ReplyDelete
  10. What great memories and pictures you have! My Labor Days were always spent at a BBQ hosted by one of Mom's cousins.... I loved that day...We arrived early in the morning. It was potluck for the sides with every lady bringing a wonderful dish. Then, in the afternon, the kids played a game of basketball..don't know the reason for basketball...but, it was fun! Then, as 4 o'clock came, the parents rounded up their own and the rest of the story.....We had to go home, take a bath, and get to bed early for the first day of school! Simple times, weren't they, Coralie?
    Have a blessed day and thanks for sharing your wonderful memories.
    :)Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  11. OH! How wonderful to see this photo after reading your first book! I can't wait to get started on your second and be back on the Upper Peninsula!

    ReplyDelete