Sunday, September 13, 2009

Unconditional Love: What I've Learned From My Dogs!

It happens every day! When I try to get from one room to another, my Shetland sheepdogs, Carrie and Bonnie Lass, sit up, perk their ears and decide to herd me along the way. Sometimes, I forget these TV couch potatoes were actually bred for working. But, when they decide I’m the only thing around here that even remotely resembles a sheep, they remind me by going directly to work.

So here’s the thing. While they’re busy herding, I have to keep my gait at a pace that does not overtake them. You see, by walking too fast I am liable to step on one of the eight paws underfoot. I hate to tell you, but that has happened a time or two and I think I hurt worse than the wounded paw does.

These wagging tailed pooches are the light of my days. Now that the children are all grown and off doing their own things, having their own particular adventures, I am still feeling like the mom who needs to continue taking care of her kids. So, the pet-pals become my kids and I get to fulfill the mom aspect of my life.

Still, you’ve got to ask yourself what you are doing, when on a trip to the dining room from the living room, you hear yourself say, “Pardon me, but I have to get around that table.” And you suddenly realize you are talking to a dog!

Yes, that happened to me yesterday. I actually asked the dogs for permission to move around my own home. But, when you think of it, it’s the right thing to do. That good old lesson learned in Kindergarten—that politeness and kindness spring from the same seed—wasn’t a lesson meant just for kids.

Kindness isn’t just for human beings! It’s for all beings! Treating our furry friends—who make life joyful, carefree and humorous—with kindness and politeness is the least we can do for them. We will never be able to match their enthusiasm for life, their unconditional love and loyalty or their sweet and nurturing spirits with which they so eagerly greet us each morning, noon and night. We can only watch and learn…learn the true meaning of goodness, caring and friendship.

Kindness? Politeness? A small offering in return for the countless ways in which my beautiful, boisterous, barking shelties tell me every minute of every day, “You are the most important person in the world!”


(Find unconditional love at Petfinder.com! View the new videos there to find the perfect pet for you! So many pets these days have been left behind by people who can no longer care for them...please help! They will love you forever!)

14 comments:

  1. Coralie...

    How very true your thoughts are. My Lucy has me wrapped around her little paw. As I move around the house, she is always underfoot and I find myself saying, "Excuse me darlin'". What joy our furry children bring into our lives.
    Wishing you and your pups a wonderful Sunday,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are so Special!! Truely unconditional love!. I just posted a pic of our sweet little Katie. Hugs, Connie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen!..
    Your dogs are beautiful.. Makes me wish we had another. We had a Scottish Terrier named "Angus McDuff" many years ago, Losing him was so hard to get over...Maybe in time we will soften and get another fur baby.... Hope so!
    xoox
    ((((hugs))))
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your dogs are so beautiful and it is true that they give so much and yet ask for so little. I have had dogs all my life but when my Mandy passed away we decided no more dogs. It is too heartbreaking when you lose them. We are getting on now and what would happen to the dog is something should happen to us. At our age, a dog might outlive us. Also if we ever had to go to an apartment we could not take a dog there. So we have two cats now as we still need our pets in our lives. One of the cats " Rusty" is just like a dog. He greets us at the door when we come in, follows us everywhere around the house, meows for attention, chases paper balls, loves to be petted, and my husband even has him sit up and beg for his treats. Our other cat "Misty" is more of a typical cat and is rather standoffish only wanting attention when she wants it! Animals are such a comfort and they give love unconditionally.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You couldn't have said it better. I am always talking to Teddy. I miss my sheltie "Oly" as he was another dear dear dog who was always guarding me and our son. He was a true gift to our family. Pets can talk to us with their eyes too. I can always tell when Teddy has something to say. LOL Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  6. I cannot imagine life without a dog to love & to teach me about life.

    Happiness,
    ~Julia

    ReplyDelete
  7. But such beautiful doggies they are!

    ReplyDelete
  8. They make life worth even more every day ...

    Maybe we 'were' next door neighbors, Coralie. Our era of childhood we are so blessed to have ... I often wonder how our children/gr-kidlings will look back upon their childhoods ... I don't they will ever be able to compare with ours.

    Have a great week ... TTFN ~ Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  9. I laughed out loud when I read this, Coralie! Adorable and sooo true! I, too, find myself having similar conversations with my 4. By the way, great photograph of your gorgeous furries!

    Kelly
    http://tearinguphouses.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with you totally! Our dog babies bring so much joy and laughter to every day of our lives. Their love and loyalty to us deserves to be repaid. Your dogs are so pretty and I know they must be so precious. When I look at petfinder, I want to adopt them all! Have a good week. Twyla

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well said! Sometimes my doggies jumps in my lap just to get some loving. I couldn't ask for a better companion!

    Blessings,
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know how you feel -- if one of my pups sneezes, I'll catch myself saying, "Gesundheit!"

    ReplyDelete
  13. Coralie, I had to laugh! I do the same thing. I have a sheltie (Shelby) and a dachsie and papillon. They're always at my feet and always settle close when I'm sitting around. When I do move, I'm stepping over them so as not to disturb them and I always say excuse me or please move! LOL!! What would we do without them?!

    Thanks so much for sharing!

    Blessings,
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy birthday Bonnie Lass. You are a beautiful lady dog.
    Have a nice day

    ReplyDelete