Monday, July 13, 2009

Where Go The Boats?

How thrilling it was to find this 1961 copy (a remake of the original 1932 version) of A Child's Garden of Verses by Robert Louis Stevenson at a garage sale last week. Oh how I loved these poems when I was a child, so many of which we read in school and at home.

When all was quiet on a Saturday afternoon, my mother would make cocoa and read to us while we sipped and let our wishes wander down enchanting paths to other worlds alive with wonder!

I especially loved this poem "Where Go The Boats" as it held all sorts of amazing possibilities for finding and connecting with others in some surprising and unplanned way. I put a note in a bottle and told my father I wanted to send it down a river where someone far away in a distant land would find it and contact me. Wonderment of wonders, he never once laughed at me but helped me send my bottle on its way.

Though I never did hear that anyone had found my note, I was sure it had landed in a special place with a special person. I could visualize another child excitedly releasing the bottle from the water, opening it, and reading my message. It was a reaching out for friendship, I imagine. Perhaps that is why I so love all my blogging friends who read my notes and come from afar to share their thoughts and stories! You are my wonders!

1 comment:

  1. Comments:

    Gingeyginge said...
    how i love to swing.....now i take the kid's to the park and we see who goes highest
    July 13, 2009 8:49 AM

    jordiegirl said...
    Oh Coralie what a lovely verse I haven't heard that one before. I love visiting your blog, there's always something interesting here.
    I also appreciate my lovely friends who drop into my blog and make comments, it's great having friends far and wide across this earth.

    Gingeyginge, I think you are like me, you are in your second childhood - but isn't it great being able to have the excuse of playing children's games. I enjoyed my game of volleyball today with both the younger children and the older ones. It's so lovely in the peace and quiet of the garden.
    July 13, 2009 9:17 AM

    Rebecca said...
    Dear Coralie...I love RLS. He was one of my father's favorite writers and that helped me fall in love with him, too!
    This picture reminds me of my daughter, Adrienne, when she was little (sniff). She would SWING for hours and our Sheltie, Haleigh) would run and try and grab her hair as it touched the ground.
    Your post stirred up sweet memories...thank you for sharing...
    I so continue to love your blog.
    xoRebecca
    July 13, 2009 12:56 PM

    Summer Gypsy said...
    Time in a bottle...someone, somewhere has found that bottle...I just bet! I do love swings and poems from childhood. Oh, Saturday afternoons with those books of poems and nothing but time to enjoy. One of my prized possessions was a large high school literature book that Aunt Ella gave to me when I was only 6! I couldn't read the words, but the pictures were exquisite. I always gravitated to the poems because of the great illustrations for each one. Then one day--many years down the road--I looked inside the book's pages with different eyes. I fell in love all over again with the words. Your blog takes me back to those wonderful days. I love it!!!
    Have a great week!
    :)Marilyn
    July 13, 2009 4:05 PM

    Christine said...
    I so love all of your children's books. This is particulary beautiful!
    I think you've enticed me to try to get out of the house for some garage sales on Friday. I haven't been to one yard sale all year!
    Blessings,
    Christine
    July 13, 2009 11:18 PM

    ReplyDelete